A girl left her contacts in for 6 months and an amoeba ate her eyeballs

It sounds like something Snopes should have definitely debunked by now…

…but the story of Lian Kao, a Taiwanese undergraduate who didn’t take her contact lenses out for six months, is totally true.

According to Medical Daily, the 23-year-old lost her sight after she became infected by an army of single-cell organisms that gnawed at her eyeballs.

The microscopic bug responsible is something called Acanthamoeba, which is this little guy:

By not removing her lenses, she created a shortage of oxygen on the surface of her eyes, making them the perfect breeding ground for these amoebas.

The director of ophthalmology at Taipei’s Wan Fang Hospital, Wu Jian-Liang said:

“Contact lens wearers are a high-risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases. A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground.”

So let this be a warning – take your contacts out or face the consequences!

Src: Medical Daily