We hear and see a lot of horror stories about parents reacting badly to their children coming out as LGBTQ. But every once in a while the media picks up on a story where parent blows our minds by being unconditionally accepting and just down right awesome!
Here are 7 parents who deserve major kudos.
1. This mom wasn’t bothered by her son being gay. But she did want him to clean his room.
2. This mother of a 6-year-old transgender girl gave a speech defending her family’s decision to allow her daughter to transition.
3. Drea Kelly — ex-wife of singer R. Kelly — said that her 14-year-old son, who recently came out as transgender, makes it so easy to be a proud mom.
Drea told VH1 in an interview: “For parents, we need to realize, [our kids] have their own journey. Parents get it wrong when they don’t support their children. They have to go out and fight every day and face this world. The first battle should not be at home. I think that a lot of children in the LGBT community don’t succeed because the one thing they need the most is foundation. I just tell Jay all the time, baby you won the war. You’re gonna have a lot of battles but you won the war. Mama accepts and loves you for who you are.”
4. This son filmed himself coming out to his mother. She didn’t care, about the gay part or the filming.
5. This father thought his son and his friend made a cute couple.
6. Magic Johnson and his wife always knew their son E.J. was gay, they just didn’t want him to feel bad about it.